
Trolling the web recently, I came across UW professor John Medina, whose book Brain Rules recently came out in paperback. (Very co-incidently, while lost in Laurelhurst today, I noticed a mysterious campus-like facility called the Talaris Institute, which turns out to be his research institute. Who knew?)
Medina has dedicated a long career to understanding how human beings process information and has boiled his conclusions down to twelve simple rules.
The Rules
Rule #1: Exercise boosts brain power.
Rule #2: The human brain evolved, too.
Rule #3: Every brain is wired differently.
Rule #4: We don't pay attention to boring things.
Rule #5: Repeat to remember.
Rule #6: Remember to repeat.
Rule #7: Sleep well, think well.
Rule #8: Stressed brains don't learn the same way.
Rule #9: Stimulate more of the senses.
Rule #10: Vision trumps all other senses.
Rule #11: Male and female brains are different.
Rule #12: We are powerful and natural explorers.
These twelve rules appear on Medina's interactive website. I know we've all heard plenty about brain stuff before, but there is something engagingly wonky about this website. You can click on each rule for a "mini-tutorial," which includes video, audio, charts and explanatory text. I found Rules #2, #4, #5, #6 and #10 particularly relevant in terms of how I teach.
Of course, the way my brain works, my challenge is to find a way to allow new ideas to have impact. Too often, I read or hear something striking and fresh about teaching...and then I go back to doing what I usually do.
So! I hereby vow to slash text from powerpoint presentations. And maybe look for ways to introduce smells into the classroom...
Hi Sarah,
ReplyDeleteJohn Medina runs a delightfully quirky, fast-paced, and accurate workshop on brain research too. HI workshop uses the techniques as part of its methodolgy, so not only do you get to learn about it, you get to experience it. I recommend it. A number of people from the language dept attended last summer. He has some coming up which are listed in the Monday Memo and I will also insert here:
Brain Rules One-Day Workshops at Seattle Pacific University
Tuesday, May 11, 2010
Thursday, June 24, 2010
Thursday, July 22, 2010
Hi Sarah,
ReplyDeleteJohn Medina also runs quirky, fast-paced, and accurate workshops where you not only learn the information, you get to experience it. He uses the methodology he talks about. Last summer, many members of the language dept. went to his workshop. I recommend them. Here are some:
Brain Rules One-Day Workshops at Seattle Pacific University
Tuesday, May 11, 2010
Thursday, June 24, 2010
Thursday, July 22, 2010
Tuney
Hi Sarah. I totally second the trimming of text on powerpoint slides. The certificate students here have been doing mini-lessons that we video tape and then critique as a class, and the issue of text-heavy slides has come up repeatedly. Often they are rushed through and/or it's unclear what students are meant to be doing (reading the text? copying it down?).
ReplyDelete