Even though I should be used to it, I still feel apprehensive when Teacher Evaluation rolls around. At times, I have even entertained rebellious thoughts about this process: why should we entrust so serious a task to students who don't take it seriously? Why should evaluations be anonymous? Why should we have to submit these to our supervisors?And these were just the internal rebellions...at times my rebelliousness has affected my behavior as well: last year, Peter and Amy's Peer Mentors created an updated Teacher Evaluation form. Several of my colleagues tried it out with their students but I didn't get around to making the switch. I suspect that on some level, I realized this more focused form might generate more focused feedback.
This week, I am experiencing the usual apprehension, but I have decided to embrace Being Evaluated this year--not so much because I am suddenly hungry for more focused feedback, but because I think there is a danger if someone in the position of evaluating others tunes out the experience of being evaluated.
Today one of my students complained about 3 points she'd lost on a recent test--a test on which her overall grade was a 92%. I have to admit, I was irked. 3 points? A 92? For this, I have to negotiate and defend?
Then I thought about how much criticism sticks in my craw: who is that? what are they talking about? It is tough to receive "negative" feedback when you have done your best--and yet this is the position students find themselves in all the time. So this quint, I am breaking out the Peer Mentor evaluation form. I am not expecting to receive more praise this way, but I am open to remembering what it's like to be vulnerable to assessment-- and to finding ways to make the experience of assessment as empowering as possible.
No comments:
Post a Comment