Friday, November 13, 2009

Experienced Teacher Retreat



When I applied for this retreat, I was imagining I would come away with 25 practical ideas which we could all immediately implement in our classes. It turned out not to be that kind of retreat. It took me a while to adjust--what? no homework?--but once I'd settled into the reflective mode, I appreciated it deeply.
The heart of Menucha Retreat Center was built in 1927 by Julius Meier, founder of the Meier and Frank Department store, as a country retreat near Corbett, Oregon. Herbert Hoover and FDR both stayed there and the place has such an old-fashioned feel that you expect to see Harry Hopkins at breakfast. (There's a speakeasy in the basement.) Twelve of us were there representing eight schools, led by our own Jen Kulik and her colleague Sallie Warmath from Salt Lake City, Utah. Neighboring schools included Overlake, Lake Washington Girls Middle School, Westside School and The Little School. Our focus during the three days was on reflection: our journeys as teachers, our current challenges and the reasons we stay in education.

One of the most useful activities for me was a workshop in the "professional portfolio." I had never thought much past resume and references, but this group seemed familiar with the professional portfolio. This includes a regularly updated resume, with some of the following headings:
  • Education, starting with BA
  • Job History, starting with most recent
  • Special Interests
  • Relevant Experience
  • Related Training
  • Skill Sets
  • Successful Projects

Jen shared that she maintains a word document called "The Big One," in which she maintains a record of all professionally relevant experience and qualifications. She draws from this list to customize resumes for specific opportunities.

In addition to an updated resume, a professional portfolio might also include: a Statement of Teaching Philosophy, student feedback, a sample assignment or two, syllabi/course descriptions, certificates of attendance at relevant professional conferences, photos, playbills, anything that gives a sense of what you offer as a teacher. Happily, we had some time during the retreat to draft a Statement of Philosophy or personal Mission Statement to articulate what we set out to accomplish in our work. It was very valuable to reflect on my work as a teacher and those elements of it that are most important to me.

I am also grateful to have had the opportunity to step back a bit from the pace of teaching and to be reminded of its importance. I feel proud to be part of this important work--and to be in the company of such fine colleagues.

I hope to make some time at an upcoming Department Meeting for all of us to write Mission Statements as teachers. Don't worry: these won't be published anywhere but it's useful and kind of refreshing to be reminded of our ideals. One of the participants shared that she does in fact keep her Mission Statement posted near her desk and on her computer. She reflects on it often, changes it sometimes and refers to it to be inspired and guided as she creates her classes.

No comments:

Post a Comment