Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Observations on Observation



This week I have been observed three times and I must say, the more it happens, the more I like it! This is from someone who previously stressed for days at the thought of having a colleague in my class.


Heather, Ann, Ellen and two board members visited my class this week. I have appreciated their gentle presence in the back of the room, their tactful participation (when offered) and most of all, I appreciate the incredibly thorough feedback which HH provided afterwards over a cup of coffee.


Things that made this observation a rewarding experience:


1. Heather picked up the tab for the coffee.

2. Heather and I talked beforehand about how I perceive my skill set as a teacher. I asked her to check in on a couple of areas which I still think I need to work on (i.e. clarity of instructions).

3. I designed a lesson plan which I thought would expose my weaknesses in this area (WHOA! Talk about personal bravery!) and emailed it to her in advance.

4. I gave her a chart with all the students' names and room for comments (in fact, the very same chart I used recently during my Fishbowl activity).

5. HH took meticulous notes during class. She paid attention to my behavior and my students' behaviors. Her vantage point at the back of the room enabled her to see things I couldn't. Icing on the cake was that she knew these students and was able to comment on how they had changed (or not changed) over the years.

6. We checked in again afterwards and shared our impressions of the lesson.


It was quite an affirming experience! HH identified strengths I didn't know I had, allayed my fears about fuzzy instructions (at least for this one class) and provided me with valuable feedback about my interactions with students.

Heather also identified a weakness or at least a quirk that I was quite unaware of. She noticed that if I find a student interpretation less-than-compelling, I will become tentative in my feedback. To avoid "hurting the student's feelings," I hedge in my response; I'll say: "Well, I think..." and then try to re-direct. HH observed that sometimes it is more supportive of the students to be direct in offering correction: "Actually, that is not a metaphor. That is meant to be taken literally. Check the words again." Clear feedback lets students know where they are.


Who knew?

Thank you so much for your energy and time, HH, and I look forward to hearing from the rest of you as the year unfolds.

No comments:

Post a Comment